Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rice

Yeah, I invented this thing I call "rice". No, seriously, I just found a way to make the rice turn out a little nicer. Maybe everyone else already knew this but I didn't:

When I put the rice and water in the pan, I stir it for a while, until the starch makes the water very cloudy. As the water is coming to a boil, I stir a couple more times. When the water is boiling, I stir again just before covering and reducing the heat.

What happens is that a lot less rice sticks to the pan and there is no burnt crust. Some people like the burnt crust, but not me.

Some people I know rinse the rice before cooking and get rid of a lot of the star ch. I prefer sticky rice that you could eat with chopsticks if you want.

I also add a little salt to the water before I start cooking. Why? Because I'm an American and excessive salt intake is one of our proud traditions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like hard-boiled eggs. I boil water (after several years of practice, I'm rather good at it), then throw the eggs into the pot hard--about 85 miles per hour. Makes for a crappy egg salad, but it's an awful lot of fun. Sometimes I miss and hit the refrigerator. But hey, that's the stuff of omelettes, as far as I'm concerned.